Environmental Health Services
12 Month Fixed Term Contract
Grade 9 - £30,507 to £32,029 per annum
37 hours per week
At Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council we are going through an exciting period of change and we are looking to strengthen our busy Environmental Protection team, by recruiting an Environmental Health Officer on a 12 month fixed term contract basis.
Newcastle-under-Lyme is based in a very attractive and affordable part of the West Midlands, with the Peak District and the Shropshire Hills on our doorstep and equidistant from Manchester in the North and Birmingham in the South, which are only an hour away.
As an Environmental Health Officer you will be responsible for;
- A broad range of pollution control issues from domestic and commercial sources, including nuisances, smoke control, industrial process regulation and local air quality management.
- Providing appropriate responses to planning and licensing applications.
- Taking enforcement action in line with legal requirements, preparation and presentation of evidence in court, tribunals and planning appeals.
- Working in partnership with external agencies to secure appropriate outcomes is also expected.
- You may also be required to work in other areas of Environmental Health as the need arises.
- You will be customer focussed, organised, diligent and flexible, with good communication skills and able to work on your own initiative.
- You will have an eye for detail and be comfortable working under pressure.
- You will be willing to learn and keep up your competencies. Professional development is a key commitment to our staff.
- You will have a BSc/MSc in Environmental Health (or equivalent), and will be EHORB registered. Ideally, you will hold or be undertaking a post graduate qualification in acoustics and noise control or equivalent.
- You will also require a current valid driving licence with access to a vehicle for work purposes.
What We Offer;
As a progressive organisation, we also welcome applications from candidates keen on working in an agile environment with flexible conditions. We also offer a range of learning and development opportunities, generous annual leave, as well as membership to the Local Government Pension Scheme.
For an informal discussion, please contact Darren Walters Environmental Protection Manager on (01782) 742587
Closing date: 5pm on Tuesday, 27 August 2019.
You can also contact Human Resources on 01782 742265/742266 (24hrs) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org quoting post ref no DD24
Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and we expect all staff, workers and volunteers to share this commitment. The Council is also committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.