This Girl Can is a national campaign developed by Sport England and a wide range of partnership organisations. It’s a celebration of active women up and down the country who are doing their thing, no matter how well they do it, how they look or even how red their face gets.
Below is a list of activities available within the borough for women to get involved.
Netball - Walking Netball
Walking Netball has evolved from a growing demand for walking sports. Often, one of netball’s strengths is that people never forget playing the sport and the memories, as well as the love for the game, never leave.
Walking Netball is a slower version of the game; it is netball, but at a walking pace. The game has been designed so that anyone can play it regardless of age or fitness level.
From those who have dropped out of the sport they love due to serious injury, to those who believed they had hung up their netball trainers many years ago, it really is for everyone.
Women the length of the country have begun playing the game of Walking Netball for the fun, laughter and camaraderie the social session brings, as much as the health benefits on offer. It can give those who feel isolated an outlet, provide an activity for those who don’t deem themselves fit enough to run anymore and offer a stepping stone for those looking for a pathway back into netball.
- Wednesdays 10.30am-11.30am at The Michelin Sports Centre, Rosetree Avenue, Trent Vale
£3 per session. No booking is required, you can just turn up.
Advanced Walking Netball Session
A session for those people who have been participating in walking netball sessions for a while.
You don’t need any special kit, just clothes that you feel comfortable exercising in and trainers ideally that lace up.
Come along to Michelin Sports Centre on Fridays 10.30-11.30am £3 per session
Ladies Only Swimming sessions
- Tuesday evenings 7pm-8pm in the large pool at Jubilee2
- Saturday evenings 6.30pm-7.30pm in the small pool at Jubilee 2
Aqua Fit classes are a great way to mix up a traditional gym workout with the benefits of water. It only takes a few aqua aerobics sessions and you’ll see a big difference in your overall fitness.
The top benefits of aqua aerobics are
- Water supports the body, putting less stress on your joints and muscles
- Working out in water helps build strength. Fighting against the push of the water activates your muscles
- Water pressure helps put less strain on the heart by moving blood around the body
- The impact of gravity is less in the water allowing a greater range of motion
- Working out in water helps prevent overheating, helping you exercise for longer
- And… it’s fun! It's not often you can say that about a workout
Aqua Fit at Jubilee 2, Brunswick Street, Newcastle-under-Lyme
Monday 8am-9am or 7.30pm-8.30pm
Tuesdays 11.45am-12.45pm, 3pm-4pm or 6.15pm-7pm
All aqua fit sessions must be pre-booked, so to guarantee a place please call Jubilee2 reception on 01782 616606 for more information.
For further information on any of the sessions listed above please call the relevant number below:
Jubilee2 - 01782 616606
Sports Development (Netball) - 01782 742615
Last updated 18 July 2019