Home > All Services > Housing > Private Rented Accommodation

Private Rented Accommodation

Guidance for landlords, tenants and local authorities in the private and social rented sectors in the context of Coronavirus (COVID-19).

COVID-19 and renting: guidance for landlords, tenants and local authorities

In line with Government guidance we will not be carrying out routine visits at this time however we can still offer advice by telephone or e-mail and are contactable through the on-line forms.

Information and guidance on renting safely

Disrepair in rented property?

If you rent your home it should be warm, safe and in good repair. If you have concerns about your home these can be investigated by the Council.  See also How to rent - The checklist for renting.

In order to protect your rights against retaliatory eviction the first step in the process is for you to write to the landlord requesting the repairs to be carried out. Please include all items on the letter that you are concerned about, keep a copy of the letter you send and a note of the date you sent it. Download further information and a template letter.

If the landlord does not respond to your complaint within 14 days, or you feel the response does not address the problem, you can contact the Council for this to be investigated further.

Housing officers will make an appointment to inspect your home, we will also write to the landlord to advise them of the visit.  Please telephone 01782 717717 or complete a General Enquiry form online.

Are you looking for a home to rent?

There are many things to consider to make sure you find a safe, warm and well-maintained home. Find out more about electrical safety what to look for and and the questions to ask - How to rent - The checklist for renting and How to rent a safe home - a guide to help current and prospective tenants ensure that a rental property is safe to live in.

Disrepair in social housing?

If you are a housing association tenant, complaints should be directed to your housing association.  They should have a published policy on dealing with complaints which should be followed.

 Do you let out property?

How to let - a guide for private residential landlords and anyone interested in letting a property in the private rental sector.

You have responsibilities relating to:-

A lack of knowledge of the law could prove costly – more information on landlord responsibilities

Landlord Accreditation Scheme

The landlord accreditation scheme aims to improve the physical and management standards in the private rented sector by providing encouragement, support and incentives to members.  Visit Landlord Accreditation North Staffordshire to find out if your landlord is accredited or to find accommodation available from an accredited landlord

Last updated 15 June 2021

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate the information on this page?

Good OK Poor

Back to the top of the page