Pest Control Services and Covid-19
The government describes the level of risk posed by Covid-19 using the following ‘alert levels’ We are currently at level 3
- Level 1: Covid-19 is not known to be present in the UK
- Level 2: Covid-19 is present in the UK, but the number of cases and transmission is low
- Level 3: A Covid-19 epidemic is in general circulation
- Level 4: A Covid-19 epidemic is in general circulation; transmission is high or rising exponentially
- Level 5: As level 4 and there is a material risk of healthcare services being overwhelmed
The services we can offer depend upon the current alert level
- At levels 4-5: Services suspended. Our officers will be redeployed to assist with the national emergency.
- At Level 3: We will be able to treat wasps nests accessible from outside a property, and treat rats in gardens. We will follow social distancing requirements. Please do not request these services if you, or someone in your household currently has Covid-19 symptoms, or has been requested to self-isolate. We may be able to assist with some other treatment such as fleas or bedbugs under special circumstances. If you need these additional services please call 01782 717717 and explain your needs. We'll be back in touch to confirm if we can visit and tell you the precautions needed to keep you and our officers safe.
- At Level 1-2: We are able to resume all our services.
In this section:
The Council’s pest control team can offer a range of professional services to homes and businesses within the borough.
(1st April 2020 - 31st March 2021
|Request and pay for our help online||Invoice payments for commercial customers|
|Telephone advice from a Pest Control Officer||£10||Unavailable|
|Advice Visits (Vo Treatment)||£48||£68|
(1st April 2020 - 31st March 2021
|Request and pay for our help online||Invoice payment for commercial customers|
Treat of Rats (Domestic Properties)
(Per property, up to 4 visits)
Treat of Mice (Domestic Properties)
(Per property, up to 3 visits)
Treat of Rats or Mice (Commercial Properties)
|Unavailable. Call 01782 717717 to request assistance||From £100 for 1st hour, then £25 for each additional 15mins, invoiced on completion based on total time.|
|Wasps, Ants, Fleas, Bees||£75||£95|
|Bedbugs and Cockroaches||£100||£120|
Mole or Rabbit Control Per Treatment
(up to 3 visits)
|Squirrel Control, per 4 visits||£120||£140|
Please note we are unable offer an opinion on the work of another pest control contractor. For advice of this nature you should contact their trade association, if they are a member, or call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06.
Residents must pay by credit or debit card when you first contact us. Businesses will be sent an invoice after treatment is completed.
The Council can help you if:
- the problem is at your property and you have paid for our assistance
- the problem is on land which the Council owns or manages
If the problem is somewhere else - for example linked to a neighbour's property, you should contact them first.
If you need help at a business premises or are a landlord, we can offer additional services. Please see the links to the right of this page for further information.
In most cases Aspire Housing residents will need to make their own arrangements or pay our service charges to deal with pest problems. If you believe there are special circumstances and that Aspire need to take action please call them.
In most cases officers are able to visit within two working days. Often you do not need to be home when we attend. For example, we can treat most wasps nests from outside a property. If the problem is inside, or you want to meet the officer, please provide a telephone number so that we can arrange a convenient time to visit.
If you are reporting a possible problem with rats at a neighbour’s property we’ll want to know the action you’ve taken so far to get things sorted. We’ll contact your neighbours to offer advice and explain their obligations and options. If problems continue the council has a variety of powers, but will require you to provide evidence, which could include attending a Magistrates court. The most effective way to solve problems is for neighbours to work together.
You have 14 days to cancel the service from the date you place your request. This can be done via e-mail to Customer Services, or by downloading a cancellation form. If you make an appointment / requested a treatment for within the 14-day cancellation period, then this constitutes express consent to the service being provided within the cancellation period, and in consequence if we start providing the service and you then cancel, you will have to pay a reasonable amount (generally not less than £48) for the service provided through to the date of cancellation, and if the service has been provided in full, you may not be entitled to any refund at all of any money already paid.
We aim to process any refund within five working days of it being requested. Refunds are generally returned to the payment card used. Alternatively refunds can be made to a bank account. We are unable to refund by cash or cheque.
Pest control treatments do not always have immediate effect. The pest control service will use sufficient quantities of appropriate materials to ensure that the insect problem is successfully resolved. If the client notifies the pest control team within one calendar month that the treatment has not been successful, pest control will make a single further visit (a ‘re-treatment’) at no extra cost.
This guarantee does not apply if:
- the infestation is not the same as previously treated – for example a different colony of ants in a different part of the property
- the client has not followed the pest control officer's advice – for example if they have washed away the chemicals used
- payment for the service has not been received
We will provide up to three visits to control mice and up to four visits to control rats. We aim to solve problems as quickly as we can and not every treatment will require the full number of visits. Extra visits require further payment, this can done by making a new request to us.
We generally recommend 7-14 days between visits. We will close the request if we have not heard from you for three weeks, or once the request is more than 12 weeks old. We do not credit unused visits.
Rats may forage over a wide area so a number of properties may be affected. Where the council uses enforcement powers it will ensure that all affected owners and occupiers take appropriate steps to control rats in their land and buildings.
We will continue to provide a range of free information and advice on our website, based on the questions we regularly receive. However, if you need technical advice from a pest control officer - for example about how to tackle a pest control problem yourself, we make a charge of £10 for telephone advice or £48 it you want them to visit and provide advice face-to-face. Please note we are unable offer an opinion on the work of another pest control contractor. For advice of this nature you should contact their trade association, if they are a member, or call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06.
Our lowest charges are available if you can pay when you request our help, or within 14 days of making your request. For later payments we generally charge an administration fee (usually £20). We would encourage you to pay by credit or debit card when you first contact us. Certain services may not be provided until payment has been received. The pest control officer will give you a card confirming our charges and current ways to pay when they visit. We are currently unable to offer a pay online option.
Get in touch with us!
If you have any queries you need answering please use either our Facebook or Twitter pages:
Last updated 29 September 2020