Health and Safety enforcement responsibility is split between local councils and the Health and Safety Executive depending on the type of workplace. Please check here to find out who the appropriate agency is.
If you have a health and safety concern in a Local Authority enforced workplace in the Newcastle-under-Lyme area only, please call our contact centre on 01782 742590 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have a health and safety concern in a Health and Safety Executive enforced premises please go to:- http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/index.htm (External Link) or phone 0345 300 9923
What are the duties relating to asbestos in the workplace?
Under the 'Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012', those person(s) in control of buildings have a duty to manage the asbestos that is contained within it. These regulations specifically require those who are in control of the premises to:-
- take reasonable steps to determine the location of materials likely to contain asbestos;
- presume materials to contain asbestos, unless there are good reasons not to do so;
- make and maintain a written record of the location of the ACMs and and presumed Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs);
- assess and monitor the condition of ACMs and presumed ACMs;
- assess the risk of exposure from ACMs and presumed ACMs and prepare a written plan of the actions and measures necessary to manage the risk (such as the ‘management plan’); and
- take steps to see that these actions are carried out
Further detailed advice can be found on the HSE website (External Link)
Last updated 7 January 2016