Council Tax Appeals

If you think your Council Tax bill is wrong,  contact the Council Tax Team immediately.

If your appeal is regarding the Council Tax valuation band of your property your appeal needs to be made directly to Valuation Office Agency (VOA) as detailed below.

You should continue to pay as billed until your appeal is decided.

You can also appeal against your bill if you think:
•You are not the liable person to pay Council Tax because you are not the resident or owner or because your property is exempt
•The calculation made by the Council for the amount of Council Tax payable is wrong

How to appeal against your bill

As a first step you should write to Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council, giving reasons why you think your bill is wrong. When you write, include your name and address and say which decisions you don't agree with. We will contact you with our decision. While waiting for the outcome of an appeal payments must continue to be made in accordance with your Council Tax bill.

Appealing to a valuation tribunal

If you think the Council's decision is wrong, you can appeal to the 'Valuation Tribunal'. This is an independent appeals tribunal, funded by Parliament to handle Council Tax and rating appeals in England.

There are time limits for appealing to the tribunal. These are:
•Two months after the Council told you its decision
•Four months from when you first wrote, if you hear nothing from the Council

Visit the Valuation Tribunal website for further information on appealing.

You can also get free independent advice about appealing against your Council Tax bill from your local Citizens Advice Bureau.

Appealing against your Council Tax valuation band

The Valuation Office Agency (VOA) values domestic properties for council tax. This valuation is used to set your council tax band. You might need to contact the VOA if you think your council tax band is wrong.

You can find out more about when you can challenge your band and what you need to do at If you challenge your band, you must continue to pay council tax at your current band until your appeal is decided.

You can contact the VOA at If you are unable to use the online service you can also contact the VOA on 03000 501 501.

Website: Valuation Office Agency

The Valuation Officer is part of HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

Grounds for appeal about banding are restricted to the following:
•Where you start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business
•The balance between business and domestic use changes
•Where you move into a new dwelling and become the taxpayer for that dwelling.  Your appeal must be within six months (but if the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again)
•Where the Listing Officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer
•Where there has been a material increase or material reduction in the value of the dwelling.

A Material Increase in value may, for example, result from building improvements to the dwelling. In these cases revaluation does not take place until after a sale - so the person appealing would usually be the new owner or resident.

A Material Reduction may, for example, be demolition of part of the dwelling or adaptations for physical disability.  In these cases revaluation should take place as soon as possible.

While waiting for the outcome of an appeal against the banding of your property, payments must continue to be made in accordance with your Council Tax bill.


Last updated 8 February 2021

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate the information on this page?

Good OK Poor

Back to the top of the page