Home > All Services > Council Tax and Benefits > Benefits > Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support is available to help people who are on benefits, or who have low incomes, to pay their rent and Council Tax. It is paid by local councils. This section explains how to apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

To find out if you will qualify for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support please use this online calculator

From 27 January 2021, the Council can longer accept new Housing Benefit claims from working age claimants.  If you wish to claim help towards your rent you must claim Universal Credit.  More information on Universal Credit can be found here.

Claimants who live in temporary or specificied accommodation e.g. bed & breakfasts or hostels can still claim Housing Benefit.

Pensioners are not affected by the new rules so can still claim Housing Benefit.

If you would like more information please contact the Council's Benefit Office on 01782 715500 or call into one of the following Council Offices:

Castle House
Barracks Road

Kidsgrove Town Hall
Liverpool Road


Last updated 28 January 2021

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate the information on this page?

Good OK Poor

Back to the top of the page