How to appeal

If you disagree with the decision you can:

  • Ask us to explain the decision
  • Ask us to revise (change) the decision
  • Appeal against the decision

If you wish to appeal against a decision we have made, you must do so in writing within one calendar month of the date we notified you of the decision. You must also state why you think the decision is wrong.

Whenever you ask us to explain our decision, or to revise it we will check all parts of your claim and advise you of how we came to the decision. In doing so, if we find anything wrong with the decision we made, we will write to you with the decision and your right of appeal will start again.

If we do not change the decision in your favour we will send the case to either the The Tribunal Service or The Valuation Tribunal which are independent bodies who will look at each individual appeal in an impartial manner.

Overpayments of Benefit

If you are paid too much benefit, the overpayment can be recovered from you.  Overpayments of Council Tax Support will be added back to your Council Tax account.  Overpayments of Housing Benefit will be recovered from your ongoing benefit entitlement, from an attachment of earnings through your employer or you will receive an overpayment invoice so you can pay the money back. However if the overpayment is as a result of an official error, it may be deemed not recoverable. Like all decisions made by us, you have the right to appeal against it.

Last updated 20 March 2018

Back to the top of the page