Home > All Services > Community > Partnerships > Safeguarding > Report It - Children

Report It - Children

What should I do if I think a child is at risk of significant harm?

Contact: Staffordshire County Council's First Response service.

Tel: 0800 1313 126 

Open: Monday - Thursday 8am - 5pm. Friday 8am - 4.30pm

Emergency duty service (out of hours service) tel: 0845 6042886

Staffordshire Police  tel: 101.   Ask for M.A.S.H. (Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub)
or if outside of MASH hours report to Area Communications.

In an emergency always call 999.

Do I have to give my name?

No - it is your choice. If you decide that you want to remain anonymous that decision will be respected. Professionals making a referral should be aware that they cannot be guaranteed anonymity.

What happens next?

Social workers will follow up every report where they believe a child may be at risk of harm. They will talk to other people who know the child and may be able to provide a clearer picture. This includes teachers, health visitors and members of the child's family.

Several things could happen:-

  • No further action will be taken
  • Help and support will be offered to the family
  • An investigation will take place

Are children taken away from home?

Very rarely - social workers cannot remove a child from their family without the permission of the court. This only happens when there are real concerns that the child will not be safe at home, and then consideration is always given to the child being looked after by a relative or a friend.

Will I be told what has happened?

You should receive written confirmation that your referral has been received and acted upon unless your report was anonymous.

Last updated 3 November 2020

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate the information on this page?

Good OK Poor

Back to the top of the page