To check if your vehicle is eligible to apply for a private hire vehicle licence with Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council please check our Private Hire Vehicle Specifications.
If you need to book an appointment with the licensing team to apply for a private hire vehicle licence then you will need to contact us on 01782 717717.
You will be required to bring the following documentation:
- A completed Private Hire Vehicle application form
- The correct fee (payable at the appointment - only cheque and card payments will be accepted)
- A valid MOT certificate
- A valid Private Hire Insurance certificate (This must detail all drivers of the vehicle - please note that only drivers who hold a Dual Driver Licence with Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council will be eligible to drive the vehicle)
- A V5 Log Book or if the vehicle is new to you a V5 Slip with Proof of Purchase (please note you will be required to provide the Log Book to this Council within 7 days of you receiving it)
- Any vehicle which has undergone a conversion to be wheelchair accessible or converted to allow additional seating must have an appropriate certificate to prove that the conversion has been carried out to the required standard (European-wide type approval or equivalent)
Council Garage Test
At your application appointment you will be booked in with the Council's garage for a vehicle fitness test. Please be aware that you will only be allowed one retest so it is very important that you are displaying the correct plate holders and door signage, and that the vehicle is fully equipped in line with the vehicle specifications and conditions of the licence. You will be issued with plate holders at your application appointment.
If you are unable to attend the Council Garage Test you must tell us as soon as you can. If you do not turn up for the appointment or tell us with less than 24 hours to the appointment you will be required to pay an extra fee to book the vehicle back into the garage to have it tested.
Last Updated 29 October 2019