Dual Driver Licence Courses
The following courses are required as part of the Dual Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Driver Licence:
Disability Equality Training
Required from 1 January 2020 for all new and first renewal drivers. This course is offered by an external provider First Response Training. Book on this course by following this link.
Safeguarding and Child Sexual Exploitation Awareness
To book onto this course please contact our customer services team on 01782 717717. There is a fee that you will need to pay upon booking. Please be aware that all drivers, including renewal drivers, will need to provide a certificate which is less than three months old on application from 1 November 2019.
Council Knowledge Test
Required from 1 January 2020 for all new drivers (including those whose licenses have lapsed) and any current driver who does not satisfy us as to their ability to speak and write in English.
This test comprises an exam covering the following areas:
- Taxi legislation - this will test your knowledge from your BTEC or equivalent, reading of the Council's Taxi Licensing Policy will also assist with your knowledge on this subject
- Safeguarding and Child Sexual Exploitation awareness - this will test your knowledge following the Safeguarding Course
- Disability Equality - this will test your knowledge following the Disability Equality Course
- Local Area Knowledge (knowledge of road names and locations of local pubs, landmarks, schools, supermarkets, transportation links and places of interest) - List of places
- Working out fares and giving change (using the current Borough Tariff)
A 75 per cent pass mark is require for each section - all sections must be passed at the same time and failure to answer certain questions correctly will result in automatic failure.
Where an applicant fails the knowledge test there is an extra fee for every following test and every missed test. Once an appointment has been made for the test, the applicant must give two clear working days’ notice to cancel an appointment or they will need to pay the test fee. In such circumstances we will say that the applicant has failed the test. Anyone failing the test will be able to re-sit the test twice, at their cost. If the applicant fails the test three times then the application will be cancelled and they will be unable to reapply again for a licence until a minimum period of 12 months after the date of the last failure and they will be treated as a new applicant.
If any applicant has any particular needs as a result of a disability or otherwise they should let the Licensing team know and suitable arrangements can be made to arrange the test.
Normal examination conditions will apply during the knowledge test. Anyone found to be using unfair means during the test will be excluded from the test and will need to take a fresh test and pay the appropriate fee. This may also affect their fitness and propriety to be granted a licence.
To book onto this course please contact our customer services team on 01782 717717. There is a fee that you will need to pay upon booking.
Last Updated 14 February 2020